Famous Columbian Expo "Firsts"
Created by Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania bridge builder George W. Ferris,
the wheel was supported by two 140 foot steel towers, and its 45 foot
axle was the largest piece of forged steel at the time in the world.
The wheel had a diameter of 250 feet, a circumference of 825 feet,
and the maximum height was 264 feet. It was powered by two 1000 horsepower
reversible engines, and had 36 wooden cars that could each hold 60
people. On busy days when the ride was full, a band played in one
of the cars.